Team BH USA Race Calendar

Monday, May 4, 2009

Ups and Downs

This weekend was full of ups and downs.  I was invited to fill in for the national team at another UCI race that was not part of my original schedule (yay for more racing).  So Friday I went to race in Luxembourg at the Grand Prix Elsy Jacobs.  I was excited to have another opportunity at a big UCI level race since the last one ended prematurely in a crash.  Then Sunday I headed close to Paris for another French Cup race -- the Trophee des Grimpeurs.  Both courses contained a lot of climbing!  Friday's course went Up Up up - DOWN - up Up Up UP - doooowwwwwn and around (10 times!).  Sunday's course went up Up UP WALL! and then twisted its way downhill -- (for the midwest racers, the Wall kind of reminded me of Snake Alley steep or Stillwater steep and loooonger).  

Friday's race went well.  I was able to get to the front right away and tried to follow some early attacks up the first climb. A strong contingent went off at the top of the second climb and I was running low on gas by then, but a teammate of mine bridged to it. I was then able to stay near the front and tried to cover for a while. I worked pretty hard the first couple laps and it was fun being able to do work to try and help a teammate up the road.  The break was looking strong and when I started to fade on the next lap my other teammates in the pack moved up to the front. We all took turns guarding the front and we had a more experienced teammate in the pack to give us direction and make sure we were on the same page which was nice.  The race was one of attrition and as we worked, the pack dwindled in size from 110 to 50ish by the end while the break stayed off the front. I was able to hang on in the race and make it to the end with the field.  The sprint was wild and I was stuck in the middle of the pack trying to avoid getting my wheel chopped as people went every which way.  I was barely able to get in a sprint effort with all the commotion and finished midpack for 31st -- my first UCI finish!! (hopefully there will be lots more!)

Afterwards I refueled with strawberry waffles (if you can't have frozen custard or ice cream, this is a mmm mmm good alternative :)...


Sunday's race looked like a fun one with lots of climbing and a super steep hill. The crowds were out in force because our race was followed by a men's UCI race with big name teams. Despite my excitement for the race, it didn't go so well from the start... we had a "neutral start" to the course and once we got to racing I knew I needed to move my way up in the pack a little more before the "wall", but despite my efforts, i couldn't seem to pass anyone -- i felt like i was riding backwards.  By the time we were to the hill I was pretty far back in the pack and after the "wall" I was off the main pack. I decided to make the most of it and keep riding... it would at least be good training to climb the wall a few times.  And how often do you get to train with people cheering you along the whole way.  The crowd was fantastic and sometimes I even forgot I was off the back. I even got a "USA --- I love you!" cheer (lots of French actually seem to like the Americans -- at least in the cycling world).  So the race was a bummer, but I had just come off a good tough race and bad days happen.  I also discovered that my rear wheel was a disaster at the end of the race and rubbing the brakes... this does not help the tired legs :)

Racing can be tough because there will always be a down day... but the up days are so good and the bike is so fun that you have to keep loving the sport!  1 more race coming up - I can't wait!  

No comments:

Post a Comment