Team BH USA Race Calendar

Monday, July 27, 2009

Chicago Criterium

(Kristen in the final sprint. Joelle Numainville is on the right. Photo credit Ed White)

The team was back together again (minus Devon) for the Chicago Crit. What a cool race! Downtown Chicago, close to "The Bike Shop" with tons of cycling fans and friends lining the course. We saw a lot of people riding BH's! Word is getting out on how nice these bikes are. The women's field was small, 30-40 maybe? I felt pretty good and got in an early break with Ashley James from Kenda for a couple laps. Anne was at the front blocking for us, and I think it was Laura Van Guilder who closed it. Determined not to get boxed in, I was at the front at the end for the final 2 laps. Madeleine did a fantastic attack for a gambler's prime at 1 to go. She didn't get it but it helped position me for a bit until Kenda chased her down I still ended up at the front. On the final lap I was neck and neck with LVG, and no one wanted to lead it out. I wanted Laura (or anyone!) to come around me so I could get her wheel but that didn't happen and when we hit the final corner my instinct told me to go now! and I exploded first out of the corner. I knew it was early, but thought if I waited I'd get swarmed. "When in doubt--lead it out!" As it was I managed to hang on for 6th place. I felt given the circumstances I finished the best I could, and though I would have liked to have placed higher I was pretty happy with this result. Anne finished in the money and we rode well as a team and all had a great time crit riding through the streets of downtown Chicago. Joelle Numainville, a young Canadian from Kenda was able to outsprint Laura Van Guilder for the win.

-Kristen

3 comments:

  1. Great job to your team! Who took this photo!? It's fantastic!! Love the sprinting expressions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monique--I kind of like it too. I'm definitely NOT smiling!

    Ed White is a great photographer from Chicago. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewwhite/collections/72157600001427918/

    ReplyDelete