Team BH USA Race Calendar

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Collegiate Racing

(Devon and I at Depauw, IN)

Since Devon took off to make the rounds of European racing (and boy am I ever jealous!), I've been left to fend for myself in our Midwest Collegiate Cycling Conference. I have to say, it can be very tough not having at least one teammate (even if she was a "secret" one; I race for UWM, she races for U of Chicago). Each weekend seems to bring out bigger and bigger teams and changes my usual tactics. I enjoy attacking frequently (to the point where, "Patience little grasshopper!!!!") was the most constant advice I got. But now with only me, I DO actually have to race smarter, more patiently and follow the dominating team's leads.
(Sprinting for a finish that ended too close to call in IN)

Collegiate weekends are fun but definetely involve little sleep, long days in the cold and wet, long hours of travel, but of course LOTS of FUN and team bonding. This year we have a really good women's field with some heavy hitters that has made things fast and interesting. I've managed to place top 5 in every race so far-enjoying some much more then others. So far this year I've raced in Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan and gotten to go on two school training trips to Arizona and North Carolina!!!
(Our "pro" UWM set-up; we might not be a scholarship team like several in our conference but we do our best and are sure we have more fun!)

Still on the docket:
-Marian Crit (IN) April 5
-MKE RR/Madison Crit (WI) April 18-19
-Ohio State RR/Crit/TT (Regionals!!!) April 25-26
-AND the pinnacle: Nationals held in Colorado this year (not so nice for us from sea level) May 8-10
(My boyfriend and I hamming it up at the Murray, KY crit-2nd place in a 13corner crit!)

So plenty of fun ahead. But I do have to say, I am VERY excited to be racing as part of TEAM BH USA this weekend (April 4) at Hillsboro (IL) where I'll have teammates, tactics, and the chance to show what we've got!!!
(Devon and I at the Depauw crit-a 2nd and 3rd place finish for us!)

-Madeleine

No comments:

Post a Comment