Team BH USA Race Calendar

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Kenosha Velosport Spring Training Crit

I'm still doing base work right now and my workouts can be very long. It was great going to CA to log in a bunch of miles outside, but it made it tough to come back to finish up our Chicago winter and back to my dreaded trainer. Really I have made peace with the trainer. My indoor workout program, "Pedaling with a Purpose" and the people who attend make the time inside bearable. But after a long grueling winter of trainer riding, then going to CA and getting a taste of the outside, my heart longs to be riding outside. It was great to have a training race to mix things up, help get in some intensity and race experience, and decent weather to boot! After doing two hours of PWP this morning, (we go until the end of March) I headed up to Pleasant Prairie, WI for my first local outside race. It's part of a nice series of training races that has been going on for years, but lately has been without a regular venue. The course this year was lovely! I hope it works out that they can keep this location for years to come. It was easy to get to, and the weather cooperated with sunny and comfortable temps. I raced the men's 3's and my goal was to work on positioning. I didn't really care about final placing but I was hoping to ride near the front and possibly get in a break. The race was dominated by Get-a-Grip. They attacked at the gun and got a rider up the road in a two person break. The remaining teammates did an excellent job of blocking and disrupting any chase efforts. I rode at the front and made some unsuccessful bridge attempts. It was hard organizing with the other individual riders. We eventually caught the break, but then GAG launched another attack and another group got away and this time it stuck. At one to go the field picked up the pace and I finished somewhere midfield. On the whole it was a nice safe race and I got to see some good team tactics executed. Hopefully I can use some of them when I have my teammates to race with! I was happy to have stayed near the front for most of the race. I then decided to jump in the men's 1/2 race immediately following the 3's. Whoops! Wasn't feeling it and pulled out shortly after the start. That's it for now. Hopefully I'll get to do it again next week.

-Kristen

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Kristen! Good job! Try not to hurt my feelings if we end up in a race together.

    ReplyDelete